[Zope-dev] Bug day report

Casey Duncan casey at zope.com
Fri Apr 30 16:00:07 EDT 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 20:14:30 +0200
Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de> wrote:

> Casey Duncan wrote at 2004-4-29 22:19 -0400:
> >I'm happy to report a successful bug day with a final tally of almost
> >40 issues closed. The specific issues we squashed were:
> >
> >#28,#181,#321,#340,#349,#439,#444,#495,#511,#532,#540,#543,
> >#544,#545,#546,#553,#562,#574,#584,#602,#637,#644,#654,#658,#666,
> >#678,#724,#800,#810,#811,#875,#1003,#1042,#1050,#1148,#1227,#1298,
> >#1300.
>
> However, you closed (at least one) bug reports without resolving the
> the issue.
>
> I do not think this is good practice...
>
> Bug reports should remain open until they are either fixed
> or can no longer occur. They should not be closed just because you
> do not plan to fix them in the near future...

If a bug will not be fixed, judged by::

 - The bug description

 - The time it has remain open without action

 - The lack of a patch provided for the bug

 - The lack of assignment or interest of a sponsor

This means it is an unsponsored bug. It should not remain open forever.
The bug collector is not a substitute for documentation and issues that
will never be resolved should be closed. Otherwise it wastes the time of
volunteer bug-fixers.

I think the current collector is a bit flawed in the available statuses.
There is no specific way to denote an issue as "won't fix" which means
that it is possibly a bug, but either it is not fixable, is not deemed
worth fixing, cannot be fixed with the information provided, or nobobdy
has fixed it for years so it's not gonna happen.

I chose to reject the bug hoping that it would cause a reaction, which
it did. I'll admit that "reject" is not exactly the right status,
however the right status is not currently an option for the collector.

Since I can see you feel strongly about this issue, please feel welcome
to reopen to bug or change it to a status that better suits it. At this
point I see no chance of it being fixed without a champion, however.

-Casey