[Zope-dev] Possible Windows Service improvements.

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Aug 4 10:48:47 EDT 2004

Mark Hammond wrote:

> I propose:
> We insist the child process can be created and continues to run for x
> seconds (where x~5).

I recommend against this strategy.  It's too implicit and has bitten us on
Unix in the past. The problem with the strategy if the program starts very fast
and then dies, we don't restart it even though we should. Similarly, if the
program starts very slowly, we don't recognize a startup failure and keep
retrying even though we shouldn't.

Is there some sort of IPC that can be used here?  On Unix, we use a reserved
exit code to indicate a startup failure and arrange for Zope to exit with that.

On another note, I'd really prefer to work out a general facility that
can be used with any Python program, including both Zope 2 and Zope 3.

Jim