[Zope-dev] Re: Zope Service on Windows

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 15:17:28 EST 2004

[Mark Hammond]
>> See also http://collector.zope.org/Zope/1533 - this has a number of changes
>> to make services much more reliable on Windows.  My patch includes your
>> change, but along the lines of Tim's objection, mine compromises with:
>>
>> +os.environ["PYTHONPATH"] = os.environ.get("PYTHONPATH", "") + ";" +
>> SOFTWARE_HOME
>>
>> My patches also have the killer feature of writing any Zope stdout to the
>> Windows event log in the case of error - critical if you hope to see what
>> the underlying error was.  The patch also allows for Zope to be terminated
>> gracefully (rather than unconditionally terminating it as now), re-instates
>> support for Windows NT, and allows for a complete, functioning pywin32 build
>> to be used (including win32com etc).
>>
>> Just-by-way-of-reminder ly,

[Tres Seaver]
> +1 for landing Mark's patch as a prerequisite to fixing *any*
> Windows-service related bug in the future.

I think we should call now "the future".  Windows services were broken
completely by the sitecustomize.py fiddling, and remain in a hackish
state.

Christian, Mark wrote the book (literally) on managing Windows
services from Python, and wrote all the win32all support code Zope has
relied on forever to get Windows services working at all.  If it's at
all possible to apply his patches, please do so -- they address
several long-standing problems Zope suffers on Windows, and nobody on
Earth is better qualified to fix them than Mark.