[Zope-dev] Why third_party/docutils?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Dec 20 07:36:31 EST 2004

Andreas Jung wrote:

> --On Donnerstag, 16. Dezember 2004 16:01 Uhr -0500 Jim Fulton
> <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>
>> Andreas Jung wrote:
>>

>>> --On Donnerstag, 16. Dezember 2004 15:34 Uhr -0500 Jim Fulton

>>> Stefan complained about the sitecustomize.py file and the additional
>>> paths injected inside the file. Moving docutils as a whole to lib/python
>>> would not solve the problem with similar adjustments to sys.path.
>>

>> AFAICT, the problem is that you made a change that requires lots of
>> scripts
>> to be modified and become slightly more complicated. This is not a huge
>> deal
>> if there's a good reason for it, but I can't figure out what that reason
>> could be. See below.
>

> You're still not getting the point. Z2 shipped and Z3 ships with a
> *stripped*
> down version of Docutils where only the "docutils" subfolder is used. Now
> the *whole* package is included which makes it necessary to adjust the
> paths.

Please explain why including all of docutils requires adjusting the paths.

We include all of docutils in Zope 3 and don't adjust the paths.  We *did*
adjust docutils slightly.

Is the version in Zope 3 less complete than the one you want to include
in Z2?  If not, I suggest copying that one, as it works for Zope 3.

Jim