[Zope-dev] Zope and OS Pythons (Was:ANNOUNCE: Zope 2.6.3 Release and Security Update)

Lennart Regebro regebro at nuxeo.com
Fri Jan 9 05:23:48 EST 2004

I have to agree with the recommendations of never running Zope with the OS
Python. In fact, I usually don't even get it to work, since the OS Python
have a tendency to not include modules included in the standard Python
distribution, or behave weridly in some other way. For example, OpenBSD's
standard binary Python used to barf on py files with Windows line endings, a
big problem if you run a mixed environment.

As to discussions in what OS to run, I can only say:     OpenBSD.

Very secure, dead easy to install and a very nice "source code" package
delivery system in addition to the binary package distributions, removing
the need to wait for the package to be recompiled by the package manager for
your version of OpenBSD. Happily and securely runs several Zope servers even
on old puny machines. :-)

It doesn't work well as a client though, but as a server, I have yet to find
anything to beat it. Well, maybe VMS was slightly better. :-)

//Lennart