[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] Re: ANNOUNCE: Zope 2.6.3 Release and Security Update

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Fri Jan 9 08:57:45 EST 2004

Dennis Allison wrote:

> Tried to do the former, but Python 2.3.1 would not build on RH9 with
> significant brain surgery.  Updated RH9 to the bleeding edge and got
> things mostly working except for some subsystems adn supporting systems
> which use threading and would not work under the new threading model
> without significant rework.  Hence the decision to revert to RH7.3.
> Eventually we plan to move to a Gentoo system--I've been experimenting
> with Gentoo and have found it to be fairly easy to construct a customized,
> fast, and clean system although the time-to-build can be daunting.  After
> some more testing I plan to move to Gentoo for production, a move
> motivated by the bad experience I've had with RH9 and RedHat's new
> business focus on the enterprise.

I am tracking Whitebox Linux (http://www.whiteboxlinux.org) at the
moment:  it is a "rebuild-RHEL-3-from-SRPM-under-RH-trademark-policy"
distro, which seems to have decent momentum (updates flow through
quickly, for instance).

> One point of information, Tres.  Was your positive experience over a range
> of machines.  We've pretty much standardized on dual processor Athlon
> machines, 4GB memories, and hardware raid controllers in a RAID-10
> configuration.  It's possible that our problems with RH9 may be tied
> to some problem with their Athlon SMP systems.

Hmm, good point;  we are using Dell's datacenter-class boxen, which are
all Intel hardware.  Our experiences with Athlon-based boxes were less
happy, even under 7.3:  we attributed the problems to the fact that they
were "homebrew" hardware, rather than to problems with RH Athlon kernels.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com