[Zope-dev] any limits on object number?

Toby Dickenson tdickenson at devmail.geminidataloggers.co.uk
Wed Jul 14 11:59:46 EDT 2004

[resend]

> > > We are builiding a large portal using Zope.  We need to create a large
> > > number of objects.
> >
> > How large?
>
> in one case, we want the metadata of all the wikipedia contents, that
> will be around 300,000 objects.
>
> >   The data component of the objects is small, but each
> > > object carries lots of metadata.  My question is: Is there any limit on
> > > the number of objects in a given folder?
> >
> > No, but you should use BTreeFolder2 in any case and don't use the standard
> > Zope folder!

'Folders' provide an easy gui for managing sub-items one at a time, and a
single interface for accessing sub-items that enables things like the tree
view (in the left pane of the management interface) to work with different
folder implementations.

Im not sure any of that is a benefit to you, and Folders arent the only kind
of ZODB container.  I suspect you would be better off directly using a BTree
of some kind.

--
Toby Dickenson