[Zope-dev] Re: [ZODB-Dev] Getting rid of ZODB versions (was Re: [ZWeb] Are Versions evil?)

Christian Robottom Reis kiko at async.com.br
Fri Jul 16 15:24:28 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 07:50:48PM +0200, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Christian Robottom Reis wrote at 2004-7-16 10:27 -0300:
> >> The database itself uses a short-lived lock to generate oids.
> >
> >Functionality which would be interesting if it were publically available
> >to solve the aforementioned problem.
>
> The functionality to get OIDs is there.
> It is the "new_oid" method of "Storages".
> You can abuse OIDs for "identifies".

Yes, this has been discussed a few times on the list before -- I even
coded up a prototype once.

But, say, wouldn't it be nice if we had a method which we could use
without needing to refer to this as "abuse" <wink>?

Take care,
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3361 2331