[Zope-dev] Re: any limits on object number?

Nagarjuna G. nagarjun at gnowledge.org
Mon Jul 19 02:52:48 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 11:38, Dorneles Treméa wrote:

> Resuming what I've learned: don't abuse of BTreeFolder, hash
> your content and live happy forever... ;-)
>
> PS: The server is a modest PIII 1.2GHz, 1GB RAM with a 160MB/s
> SCSI controller running only one instance of Zope 2.7.1 without
> ZEO.

Thanks a lot.  Your report that performance enhances due to hashing is
encouraging the decision we took. In our case we already began using
BTreeFolder2, havent tried creating the large object base yet (will do
this week), but we doing something like what you did.  we are creating
alphabetized subfolders, by taking the first char of each id.  Are there
any good popular hashing algorithms?  If we have such a algo then
further subfoldering could be made automatic after a certain number of
objects increase in each folder.  This way large scalable databases can
be created in Zope.

Nagarjuna