[Zope-dev] Re: any limits on object number?

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Mon Jul 19 08:49:35 EDT 2004

> Even using BTreeFolder to store all objects I was getting >300s
> delay to show a single object (ok, it's an archetypes-based one,
> containing >50 fields, splitted into 7 schematas, with lots of
> fancy stuff...). So I made a directory hash structure based on
> UID from each object (an AT UID is md5, so we have a hex base).

My own experience with BTreeFolder2 does not support your diagnosis. I
do not believe BTreeFolder2 is the problem here.

On a CMF-based CMS that I helped develop the largest BTreeFolder2-based
containers held ca. 60,000 items at the top level, meaning we did not
use a directory structure to restrict the number of items per folder.
There was zero delay retrieving singe items and even stepping into the
ZMI where it shows 1000 ids at a time was sub-2 second response time.

jens