[Zope-dev] Re: [ZC] 1223/ 8 Reject "Problem with meta_type"

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Jul 30 09:46:09 EDT 2004

Gareth Bult wrote:

>>Actually, this should be rejected. A Zope object without a meta_type has some pretty serious issues ;-)
>
> Interesting statement - not that I disagree .. but my question is - does
> a Zope that crashes when it could (with a one-line change) be made not
> to crash have *more* serious issues ?
> (I guess developers are going to say "no", but I'm a user  - I say
> "yes" !)

your suggested one line change could have implications such as reduced
data integrity and other unexpected behaviour.

So, I'd say "yes" too, except your one-line change makes things worse ;-)

> fyi; Not that I'm saying it's a proper solution or one that should be
> implemented, but I've seen no ill effects in 5 months and around 3
> million hits re; the suggested patch.
> (which for me is one up on repeated nasty site crashes .. )

*shrugs* I'd personally prefer to make the one line patch in the product
that's missing a meta type in it's class definition ;-)

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk