[Zope-dev] Product Testing

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Tue Jun 1 15:09:07 EDT 2004

For development, it's better to run Zope under a DOS box by using
"runzope.bat" than it is to continually stop and start the Zope NT
service.  Zope as an NT service has particularly poor error reporting
for startup problems ( see http://zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1020 ).

If you use "runzope.bat" instead of the service starter, you can visit
the "error_log" object in the ZMI, check "copy exceptions to event log",
save that, put the following in your zope.conf:

<eventlog>
  level all
  <logfile>
    path $INSTANCE/log/event.log
    level info
  </logfile>
  <logfile>
    path STDOUT
    level info
  </logfile>
</eventlog>

Then restart Zope.

This will cause Zope's event log to log to not only a logfile but to the
console under which you start Zope, making it easy to spot startup
errors when you use "runzope.bat".

- C