[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-dev] Re: Five and 2.9

Janko Hauser jhauser at zscout.de
Wed Jun 16 06:39:16 EDT 2004

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> There's the 'approach' and the implementation. The approach is fairly
> clear: a focus on baby steps to integrate into Zope 2.7. The aim is to
> introduce as much as possible as make sense of Zope 3 facilities into
> Zope 2.

Besides ourself also Christian Heimes has done a more product oriented
adoption of
the adapter and interfaces stuff. Will it be possible to use five in
this way?

> The implementation is still flux. Though that said, things like
> interfaces and adapters should be stable enough (as long as Zope 3 is
> stable in that regard), as there's really no difference between the way
> Five does them and the way Zope 3 does them.
>
> For views, we're moving along nicely following the Zope 3 pattern. At
> the post-Europython sprint Stuart Bishop and I, with help from Jim, came
> up with a way to integrate them the right way for Zope 2 objects. I'm
> now pretty happy with them, though some more possibilities and details
> are bound to change still.
>
> You can now even add views to existing Zope 2 objects, without the
> /edit/ hack, from ZCML. That this happens by way of "Structured
> Monkeypatching" shouldn't concern anybody. ;)

Will this monkeypatch be somewhat of a blessed way to include view
adapters into zope2? Than we
can replace our current approach of using view adapters in union.cms
with this one.
Or will this be integrated into Zope 2.8 at the end?

> While Five is in flux, I expect the main changes you'll have to make in
> your applications is slightly altering some ZCML statements and possibly
> changing an import here and there. It also depends on who contributes
> what, as always. :)

On the conference you suggested to setup a mailinglist for the
discussion of interface integration.
Sure the main parts are done, but I think it would also be nice to see,
how different projects are actually using the new possibilities. For
example the usage of widgets can lead to something like a layout-manager
or some other tools to really integrate them into Zope 2 applications. I
think it would also drive some more testing and zope3 and further
integration of other parts.

(If one has views, adapters, schemas and widgets, events are looming in
the corner :-)

With regards,

__Janko Hauser