[Zope.Com Geeks] Re: [Zope-dev] zope-dev list policies

Ken Manheimer klm at zope.com
Thu Jun 24 12:28:53 EDT 2004

I noticed this when it went initially went by, but didn't have time to
follow up.  The upshot is that there is absolutely no way *under the
current arrangement* that this is going to happen.  I can see a way to
swing it, requiring earnest volunteer effort.  Here are the details.

Being the administrator of many of the zope lists (probably over ten and
below twenty), i am already dismayed by the challenge of the typically
thirty to one hundred held spam messages, bounces, and other effluvia i
have to handle *per day*.  I do not know how many of the legitimate list
messages would additionally be held and require more attention (with the
current mailman implementation, it takes a lot more fuss to approve a held
message than to discard it), but the load is already untenable, so one
more is too many.

There is an option, however.  It's possible to add moderators to lists,
separate from list administration privileges.  I would be willing to set
the lists to hold non-member postings, *if* there were volunteer
moderators that would actually take care of some significant portion of
the load - ie, i would not have to approve one non-member (alternate
address) posting.  (I would not mind occasionally approving a
non-member/alt-addr posting if the volunteers reduced the spam/bounce
handling efforts in the process.)

That's the situation.  Are there people that would be willing to volunteer
for moderation duties?  (Say which lists when you reply - and make sure to
cc me directly, since i can't read most of the lists i moderate.)

Ken