[Zope-dev] Re: test.py

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at zope.com
Wed Mar 10 13:50:19 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 13:39, Evan Simpson wrote:
> Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> > Make sure App.Product is imported first, so that test.py can work.
> >
> > This change does not affect the old utilities/testrunner.py.
>
> This checkin message caused me to notice 'test.py' for the first time.
> Can you point me to any discussion/docs on it?  When did/will it replace
> testrunner?  Shouldn't the python2.2 in the "#!" line be python2.3?

There is minimal documentation in the test.py docstring.  All the
command line arguments are described.  It's basic strategy for finding
tests isn't documented, but I don't think it's too different from
testrunner.py.

test.py obsoleted testrunner.py as of Zope 2.7.  test.py was being used
by ZODB3 and Zope3 for a while before it was added to Zope 2.7.

I'm not sure which #! line you mean, but I think you're right to say it
should be python 2.3.  All the software on the head requires python 2.3.

> Sorry for the flood of questions, but this and the recent doctest-style
> tests being checked in have made me wonder if I've been missing a
> significant shift in testing tech.

test.py has all sorts of bells and whistle for running tests.  It's a
lot more flexible than testrunner.py.

Jeremy