[Zope-dev] Re: help

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Fri Mar 12 12:33:52 EST 2004

Vandana Bajaj wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can any one tell me whether zope 2.6.2 version works with which versons of python.
> Does it work with python 2.3. How?

Zope 2.6.2 is only "supported" on Python 2.1.3;  however, I know of
heavy production use that it works well with 2.2.3;  the tests all pass
with 2.3.3.  I wouldn't recommend using any of the .0, .1, or .2
releases (oddly enough, the .3 releases all fix segfault bugs which only
Zope seems to trigger).

> my psycopg install in conflicting with the python version on my SUSE linux (python2.3)
> and the python version files in /Zope-home/lib/python2.1

<rant mode="obligatory">
   *Don't* use the Python supplied by your OS / distribution for anything
   other than toy / eval use;  the vendor may either configure the Python
   inappropriately, or may force an unwanted "upgrade" on you and break
   your site.

   The trick is to *always* build a custom Python for your Zope server;
   that lets you control which packages are installed into it, and how
   they are built, independent of the "stock" Python.
</rant>

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com