[Zope-dev] Display Files from directory

Chris Withers lists at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Mar 16 04:35:09 EST 2004

Darshan Preet Singh Manku wrote:

> This is a Zope Newbie here

Then you should be using the zope at zope.org list, zope-dev at zope.org is for the
development OF zope, not the development of applications WITH it.

> When I am trying to pick up files from a Windows directory structure
> (C:\tmp), the code seems to always return me the error BadRequest!

Look at LocalFS or ExtFile...

Exception type, value and traceback from the error_log object would be handy in
any case...

> This is saved as a code in the Extensions folder as
> getDirectoryFiles.py
>
> file = 'C:\tmp'
> def readFile(file=file):
>     fd = open(file, 'r')
>     lines=fd.readlines()
>     fd.close()
>     return lines
>
> Is there some problem with the first line : file = 'C:\tmp"?? I have
> tried all kinds of permutations!

well, does C:\tmp exists? Sounds like it might be a folder, which wouldn't work.

> Also when iterating over the file objects using DTML

Might be best to stick to one problem per email...

> <dtml-in expr="objectValues(['File','Folder'])">
> <li><a href = "&dtml-absolute_url;">
> <dtml-var title_or_id></a></li>
> </dtml-in>
>
> I get a listing of all the folders + files which have been created using
> the ZMI.

Yes, what else would you expect?

> Now I want Zope to pick up files and folders from C:\tmp and display all
> the contents as direct URL's!. Problem is the above code picks up only
> those files which are created explicitly by the ZMI (which are a part of
> Zopes' custom database and are not directly accessible!)

The LocalFS product is what you're after...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk