[Zope-dev] Zope 2.7 memory behaviour

Stefan Doerig stef at tac.ch
Mon Mar 22 11:46:05 EST 2004

Arndt Droullier wrote:
> Hello,

Hello Arndt

> I'm trying to find a memory leak in a zope appliction and started to
> test how zope memory consume behaves basically under load.

I'm having exactly the same problem, but under linux using Python 2.3.3
and Zope 2.7.0.  First time I noticed this behaving was with Zope 2.6.4
using Python 2.1.3.  Than I recreated our internal zope package just
updating Python from 2.1.3 to Python 2.3.3 but the problem remained.

> The current result is: Zope constantly consumes more memory.

Jup, exactly, the memory consumption goes up and up and up till the
machine starts swapping and gets deadly slow.

> The testcase is: 12 http clients request constantly request the same
> page template (it does not contain any tal statements and only 10 lines
> of HTML) in a simple folder. The increase is about 50 - 100 kb / minute.
> I´m using Windows 2000 as server platform.

My test case is quiet similar. I wrote a Perl script which requests
continuously the same page template (which contains some basic DTML stuff).

> The database cache and debug information on the control panel seem allright.

The debug information looks rather strange to me, but I don't know
anything about internals of Zope.  Anyway I have here reference counts
going up fast.  Don't know whether this is normal or not.

Class 	March 22, 2004 5:26 pm 	March 22, 2004 5:38 pm 	Delta
Acquisition.ImplicitAcquirerWrapper 	850 	18136 	+17286
ZPublisher.HTTPRequest.HTTPRequest 	145 	3026 	+2881
ZServer.HTTPResponse.ZServerHTTPResponse 	139 	3019 	+2880
ZPublisher.BaseRequest.RequestContainer 	135 	3015 	+2880
DateTime.DateTime.DateTime 	51 	52 	+1

I'll let you know, should I find some solution (apart from restarting :-)).

> Now I wonder if there´s basically a problem with Zope 2.7? Has anyone
> made the same experience? Or an explanation why this happens?
>
> Thanks, Arndt.

Have nice day.

Stef

addr://Rathausgasse 31, CH-5001 Aarau  fon://++41 62 823 9355
http://www.terreactive.com             fax://++41 62 823 9356