[Zope-dev] Catching (external database connectivity) specific exceptions

Chris Withers lists at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Mar 29 10:54:51 EST 2004

Clemens Robbenhaar wrote:
>  But it is a base exception class in ZOracleDA, however. Thus the
> product using it need to explicitely import this exception, and thus
> explicitely depend on the used relational database; code needs to be
> rewritten if one exchanges the external data base.

So, you got sucked into the myth of SQL too? ;-)
You'll need to rewrite at least some of your SQL if you change backends, so I
don't see this as a huge problem...

> Well, um, yes, at least I am asking if it makes sense to keep the exception
> DA.DatabaseError in the code, even it it is not yet / no longer used.

I think it's good ot keep it there so DA authors can subclass it, but not for
stuff to be caught and re-raised as is happening now...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk