[Zope-dev] Re: Conflict errors on BDBMinimal storage

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Wed May 19 11:30:17 EDT 2004

Dario Lopez-Kästen wrote:

> <...snip...>

> <...snip...>
>
> I actually need this whithin the next couple of weeks - only one caveat:
> I'd have to do a serious read-up on sessioning, which I don't understand
> at all and the PluggableAuthService product, which I never heard of
> until I read about it.

It wouldn't necessarily require PAS, merely the PluginRegistry which was
released with it.  The reason for this requirement is that a
"SQLSessionNG" product needs to have a set of plugins, which will
typically be customized on a per-site basis to fit whatever backend
RDBMS schema is in use.  Perhaps we should call the product
"PluggableSessions", as there isn't any particular requirement that the
backend be SQL based.

> We have something similar to SQL-Sessions. However, our security
> machinery is built on top of Zopes own (in parallell not replacing it).
> It is loosely modelled around a mix of Zope's way of doing things with a
> hint of XUF (we couldn't use XUF at the time, because it wasn't stable
> enough back then).
>
> One of the goals wiht the current rewrite of one of our apps is to go
> back doing things the Zope-way, by using Zope's own security mechanisms.
> We have working solutions for authentication, but the sessioning part
> remains - especically since we, like in Steve's setup expire sessions on
> the server rather than on the browser end.

PAS does have a SessionAuthHelper which stashes credentials in the
session;  you could probably wrap up your current authentication
solution as an IAuthenticationPlugin plugin for it.

> So... any hints on where to begin reading for the completely-lost newbie?

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com