[Zope-dev] Re: [ZPT] RFC: TALES adapters and TAL/Tales variable namespaces

Evan Simpson evan at 4-am.com
Thu May 20 16:03:37 EDT 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:
> I don't inderstand what motivated the special expression types for this
> namespace.  For example, to get at file-system based code, couldn't you
> have used the modules variable?

I started there, but went with the special expression types because the
set of "things" that are valid to define as prefixes is completely
disjoint from those that you would use in other TAL statements.  I've
grown wary of tying abstract object names to Python package and module
structure.  Also, while I find it difficult to describe precisely, I
have a strong intuition that arbitrary objects should not be available
for use as prefixes.

Of course, the idea of prefixes as Zope 3 adapters intead of custom-made
prefix implementations may change things.

Cheers,

Evan @ 4-am