[Zope-dev] Zope threads on 2.7.0, python 2.3.3

Heimo Laukkanen huima at iki.fi
Tue May 25 07:54:35 EDT 2004

Hi,

I am hitting my head agains wall - and witnessing strange behaviour,
where after time most of load focuses only to one thread. I am not sure
what is the cause of this, but so far we have seen different things
before load has concentrated to one single thread.

After reading thread:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/zope/dev/24230?page=last

I started to wonder whether that signalling behaviour is also a cause
for our problems - since we are running Debina linux without NPTL (
Linux 2.4.26 #1 SMP Thu Apr 22 11:16:14 EEST 2004 i686 unknown ).

When zope is started, it nicely starts multiple threads and when tested
with ab - each thread gets their share of the work. We saw in event log
previously exceptions that were never caught - and thought if those were
the source of the problem. Eventhough we added ugly try catch code
around this problematic code - we still notice load concentration to
this one thread.

I will try to go and look with gdb those no longer working threads - but
would like to know if anyone could give any pointers on what to look for
or what to check.

-huima