[Zope-dev] Re: Read-only root database doesn't work ... bug or feature?

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue May 25 12:13:25 EDT 2004

Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 06:55:02PM +0200, Dieter Maurer wrote:
>
>>Martijn Faassen wrote at 2004-5-24 09:50 +0200:

>>>I know this has been reported before but I haven't looked into it yet.
>>>I'm wondering how to handle Formulator upgrades though -- just checking
>>>if you've been registered in a previous startup is not enough if the
>>>help text changes between releases, is it?
>>>
>>>It's been a long time since I worked with the Zope help system..
>>
>>I attach my previous patch. It may no longer work, though.
>

> It doesn't apply cleanly to Formulator 1.6.2 (the one that
> ships with plone 2.0-final). But it's easy to apply the rejects
> by hand.  Updated patch attached, can you verify that this
> does what your patch intended?
>
> I applied this, but it doesn't solve the ReadOnlyError :-(

I'm not sure whether the patch ever could've worked. Firstly, the rich
comparison operations were never called; I think perhaps due to some
limitation in ExtenionClass. __cmp__ is called, but instead I just made
the method explicit. Possibly this is better in Zope 2.7; I'm still
testing with 2.6.4.

Then there's another problem; I think FieldHelpTopic is basically
compared before Formulator (or the help system?) is fully initialized,
so no groups or fields are found to compare (causing it to always succeed).

I'll try to revise the strategy to fix this problem..

Regards,

Martijn