[Zope-dev] Showstopper UnicodeDecodeError on Zope import???

Nick Bower nicholas.bower at jrc.it
Fri Oct 8 10:41:34 EDT 2004

I'm trying to import a zexp export (a Plone site actually) from a
windows workstation to a zope server I built on Linux RH9 but it fails
with a UnicodeDecodeError:

Module Products.ZCTextIndex.Lexicon, line 69, in sourceToWordIds
Module Products.ZCTextIndex.Lexicon, line 135, in _getWordIdCreate

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xef in position 5:
orginal not in range(128).

What is confusing is that the zexp *will* import to another linux zope
build I have (on Mdk10) and sys.getdefaultencoding() and
locale.getdefaultlocale() on the 2 linux machines are almost the same
(the working one reports "en_GB, utf"/ascii and the non-working one
reports "en_US, utf"/ascii), so I think this is a red herring.  I can't
for the life of me work out what is going wrong as I built python myself
on both Linux machines exactly the same.

Can anyone help me please???

Thanks, Nick