[Zope-dev] using VirtualHostMonster in a ZPublisher python module?

Royce mroyce at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 17:55:06 EDT 2004

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:14:24 +0200, Tino Wildenhain <tino at wildenhain.de> wrote:

> Am So, den 19.09.2004 schrieb Royce um 19:27:
> >
> > Can I somehow get a VirtualHostMonster inserted into a
> > ZPublisher-based python module published through changes to z2.py? Am
> > having problems with "<base href…>" with apache proxying for this
> > python module. Have scoured past discussions but haven't found an
> > answer to this.
> >
> > I have two areas declared to zhttp_handler():
> >
> > 1. /z  -- standard managed zope area
> > 2. /app -- my python module which is a ZPublisher-based app that
> > doesn't have /manage or the other "managed zope" stuff
> >
> > For #2 I modified z2.py per Amos' write up: "How to Publish Your Own
> > Python Modules" (http://www.zope.org/Members/Amos/ZPublisher)  ...
> > (thanks, Amos!). But I can't get the "base href" set properly for
> > this.
> >
> > Changes to z2.py shown below. I really appreciate any light people can
> > shed on this. Am willing to pay for help on this.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Royce
> >
> > p.s. alternately I could import the python module as an ExternalMethod
> > but have had serious import problems when doing so.
>
> What is this module doing? The feature you use is rarely used by
> anyone. If you need the functionality of VHM there, I guess
> you have to write your own or hardcode URL references somehow.
>
> If you strictly use URLs relative to server root (that is, all
> starting with /) there is no problem.

The module is a full website. It started way back when as a Bobo app
and I've never learned of a good way to bring it into managed zope
land. It's remained a ZPublisher app. Believe me, I know I'm not
mainstream with this. Would like to bring it mainstream but
practically speaking have to do it a bit at a time.

My URLs do not all start with a / -- some are relative to current
location. Are you saying that if I change them all to be absolute
paths for the site it will work? Not the greatest practice but I'm
looking for practical solutions.

Thanks,
Royce