[Zope-dev] coverage.py, profile and hotshot support in Zope's testrunner

Stefane Fermigier sf at nuxeo.com
Sun Aug 21 15:07:38 EDT 2005

Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 10:20:28AM +0200, Stefane Fermigier wrote:
> | I have added support for coverage analysis using coverage.py from Gareth
> | Rees and Ned Batchelder, as well as support for profiling using either the
> | profile or hotshot modules from the Python standard library, to Zope 2's
> | test runner test.py.
> |
> | Justification:
> |
> | - coverage.py will let you interactively focus on the modules you want to
> | check for coverage.
> |
> | - profile is slow to collect data but quick for analysis.
> |
> | - hotshot is fast when collecting but very slow for analysis. On the other
> | hand, one can feed the great KCacheGrind tool with hotshot data after some
> | transformation and this is the best way I have found so far for
> | interactively exploring profile data.
>
> Eerm, the test runner in Zope 2 is the same from Zope 3. The version
> in Zope 3 X3.0 has profile support using hotshot and coverage support
> using the trace.py module, but the version in Zope 2 is earlier than
> that.
>
> How does that differ from what you're proposing?

1. I haven't found hotshot support in either Zope 2.8.1 nor the TRUNK.

2. Has I wrote, coverage.py can be used interactively (at least, from the
command line) to focus on whichever package you are working on at the moment.
You can also collect data from several runs, which is useful for us because we
have to test each CPS package in a different run.

3. I understand that trace.py and coverage.py have some overlap, and should
probably be merged into one great and up to date coverage tool. But before it is
done, I find useful to have both tools at our disposal.

4. Same for hotshot and profile. Both are useful.

   S.

--
Stéfane Fermigier, Tel: +33 (0)6 63 04 12 77 (mobile).
Nuxeo Collaborative Portal Server: http://www.nuxeo.com/cps