[Zope-dev] Logging of ConflictError

Florent Guillaume fg at nuxeo.com
Fri Dec 2 07:33:44 EST 2005

On 2 Dec 2005, at 11:09, Chris Withers wrote:
> Damn, I was working on this at the same time :-S
>
> Florent Guillaume wrote:
>> I've improved the logging of ConflictError in Zope 2.9 and trunk.
>> http://svn.zope.org/?rev=40454&view=rev
>> Now you'll get two things:
>> - logs at level BLATHER for each conflict, but it may be retried
>> - log at level ERROR when the conflict can't be retried anymore
>> and is returned to the browser as an error.
>
> In my work, I've actually changed this to use the new, proper
> logging calls. I'll be comitting later this morning.

It doesn't really matter, zLOG has a compatibility layer that ends up
doing the same thing.

>> I removed the log at level INFO because it is very misleading for
>> system administrators in my experience.
>
> I don't think so, I've actually changed and enhanced this in my
> work. You now get a log at INFO whenever a conflict occurs. It
> includes more information than the old version, as you'll see...

Please no. Don't put anything at INFO. A conflict error is either
something normal that should be at level BLATHER or below, or an
ERROR that a sysadmin wants to see logged as such. INFO sucks for
recurring stuff like that that in addition contain the word "error"
which it isn't. I can't count the number of sysadmin/customers/
hosting providers that freak out when something like that appears in
the log and call us and we have to explain that yes, it's not logical
but...

>> Do people want this also for 2.8? Note that it changes the log
>> format, so may break third party tools that parse logs.
>
> I was planning on rolling my changes out to 2.8, 2.9 and the trunk.
> Unless anyone strenuously objects, I still intend to do that. I
> cleaned up a lot of the code and made a few other changes that
> generally improve logging.
>
> It's a shame Florent and I were genuinely working on this at the
> same time without the other knowing...

Well, I told you on the list that I was already working on this. You
didn't pay attention I guess.

Florent

+33 1 40 33 71 59   http://nuxeo.com   fg at nuxeo.com