[Zope-dev] Logging of ConflictError

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Fri Dec 2 09:36:47 EST 2005

On 2 Dec 2005, at 14:16, Chris Withers wrote:
>> Please no. Don't put anything at INFO. A conflict error is either
>> something normal that should be at level BLATHER or below, or an
>> ERROR that a sysadmin wants to see logged as such.
>
> Not so. If I'm getting 1,000 resolved conflict errors a day, that
> can be a big performance hit, and there are those of us who have
> hard performance targets to meet ;-) Turning on debug logging is,
> in itself, a performance hit, so I don't want to have to do that on
> a production service where I want to observe the number of conflict
> errors occurring over a long period of time, like, say, a month.

I agree with this argumentation. It is true that conflicts are a
normal part of operation, as we all like to tell people who are
scared/confused by them, but if you see so many that it bothers you
seeing it at INFO level you know you have a problem that needs fixing.

Same is true for the panicking sysadmins that call up the developers.
If they call because of that they should have gotten better training
before starting to admin Zope setups, or they shouldn't be doing it
at all.

jens