[Zope-dev] Re: Logging of ConflictError

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Dec 2 10:09:40 EST 2005

Tres Seaver wrote:
>>I strenuously object to you overwriting without consultation code I
>>just checked in and that was approved by at least 3 people.
>>
>>And I'm totally -1 on any logging at level INFO or above about
>>retriable conflict errors.
>
> Likewise -1.  A successfully retried conflict should not clutter up the log.

Huh? How is it cluttering up the log? At INFO level, I assert that if
you see enough of these to judge them "clutter", you really ought to
have a look at where they're coming from and solve the performance
problem they'll be causing...

>>Not so. If I'm getting 1,000 resolved conflict errors a day, that can
>>be a big performance hit, and there are those of us who have hard
>>performance targets to meet ;-) Turning on debug logging is, in itself,
>>a performance hit, so I don't want to have to do that on a production
>>service where I want to observe the number of conflict errors occurring
>>over a long period of time, like, say, a month.
>
> You need to plan to set up and *additional* logging handler for this,

OK, first point, Florent's change was one that changed existing
functionality that I, for one, was relying on. Should that really be
happening on the 2.8 branch at the very least?

> which logs *only* conflict errors at *whatever* level, rather than
> requiring everybody else to live with output they don't need or want to
> see.

I still assert that the belief it is information you shouldn't want to
see is incorrect.

> I figured out how to do this once, long ago, to surface some
> obscure BLATHER-level notification;  given your familiarity with the
> logging module, it should be a snap for you. ;)

Yes, unfortunately it's this familiarity that means I can point out the
problem. At some point in 2.8's development, someone made the bright
idea of having the event log be the root python logger. While I liked
this in theory, in practice it means you can't set up seperate logs in
the way you describe, since everything ends up getting fired at the
event log anyway :-(

Then there's the issue that zope.conf doesn't support the configuration
of additional loggers, when it really should ;-)

I'm happy to try and find time to work on the latter issue, if whoever
made the change that resulted in the former 'fesses up and explains why
the change was made.

In either case, I don't think it's fair to require this problem be
solved in order for necessary conflict error logging to be resumed :-(

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk