[Zope-dev] Re: zLOG deprecation?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Dec 5 11:53:48 EST 2005

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>>If not, it should be...
>
> +10

Yeah, me too! Hence why I was asking ;-)

> That means we could deprecate it even in Zope 2.9, using zLOG has
> already been discouraged in Zope 2.8.

Cool, Andreas, can you make it start emitting deprecation warnings?
(if you do, lemme know and I'll go grep the Zope 2 source and try and
eradicate any remaining zLOG)

> I'm not sure if the differences in
> logging levels will be important to backward compatability.

I _know_ they won't ;-)

> ZODB/loglevels.py explains the differences::
>
>   # In the days of zLOG, there were 7 standard log levels, and ZODB/ZEO used
>   # all of them.  Here's how they map to the logging package's 5
>  standard
>   # levels:
>   #
>   #    zLOG                         logging
>   #    -------------                ---------------
>   #    PANIC (300)                  FATAL, CRITICAL (50)
>   #    ERROR (200)                  ERROR (40)
>   #    WARNING, PROBLEM (100)       WARN (30)
>   #    INFO (0)                     INFO (20)
>   #    BLATHER (-100)               none -- defined here as BLATHER (15)
>   #    DEBUG (-200)                 DEBUG (10)

imnsho, blather and debug are the wrong way round. blather should go
away completely, it's a stupid name anyway :-(

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk