[Zope-dev] Re: version.txt [was: make sdist]

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Dec 6 10:10:15 EST 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:
>> This is a very recent problem and a result of Jim's inconsistent
>> handling of the "version.txt" matter yesterday.
>> http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/MakingARelease says that
>> zope.app/version.txt should be created on a tag and
>> zope.app/PACKAGE.cfg should also be modified to include version.txt
>> *on the tag*. Jim did the latter on the Zope 3.2 branch.
>
> Yeah, I was trying to minimize the amount of work done on a tag. It
> didn't occur to me that this would affect Z2. :( In the future, we
> need to come up with a better way to handle this.

I wouldn't dare to mention my suggestions regarding issues like these... ;)

>> The Zope 2.9 externals currently point to the Zope 3.2 branch which
>> references version.txt
>> in PACKAGE.cfg but doesn't have one. Only the 3.2.0beta1 tag has it. I
>> think that
>>
>>   a) zope.app/PACKAGE.cfg should not mention version.txt when there
>> isn't one, meaning on
>> the branch
>>
>>   b) Zope 2.9 externals should now point to the Zope 3.2.0beta1 tag.
>
> I guess this would solve the problem, since the tag does have a
> version.txt.

Yup, it does solve the problem.

>> By the way, this issue reminds me: We haven't figured out how to
>> handle Zope 2's version.txt at all! I totally forgot about it. Zope
>> 2 expects a version.txt in Zope/lib/python, but zpkg has no way to
>> support a data file that isn't in a Python package.
>
> And there's the fact that this is a file that really *should* be
> generated by the release process.

Yes. It sort of is already now. When you check out a Zope 2 tag and run
"make sdist" to create the tarball, it will first generate the
version.txt and put it in the right place.

>> So there would be no way to package it nor to install it (I don't think
>> distutils knows how to install a non-package-related datafile either).
>>
>> I propose that the future place for Zope 2's version.txt is the
>> Zope2 package. Some code inside Zope 2 that reads version info from
>> version.txt would have to be changed for that, though. This should
>> be fixed for the 2.9 beta, meaning today. I'm outside svn+ssh
>> access range right now, so either you do it, Andreas, or you wait
>> until I'm at home in about 5 hours.
>

> I agree, this should be doen for this release.

Done in r40592 on Zope 2.9 branch.

Philipp