[Zope-dev] RFV: Unicode in Zope 2

TAHARA Yusei tahara at timedia.co.jp
Thu Dec 15 03:22:43 EST 2005

Hello.

At Fri, 09 Dec 2005 10:11:42 -0500,
Jim Fulton wrote:
> - Common approach to Unicode
>
> In particular, In Zope 3, all text is stored and managed as Unicode.
> The publisher decodes request data and encodes response data.  The vast
> majority of application and library code can ignore encoding issues.
> (The exceptions are applications and frameworks that need to exhange
> text with non-Unicode-aware external systems.)  This has provided
> great simplifications and allowed us to avoid common pitfals from
> mixing Unicode and encoded text.
>
> We need to migrate Zope 2 to use a similar strategy.  We need volunteers
> to brainstorm how this can be done and make one or more proposals.
> This is likely a prerequisite for finishing the publisher and ZPT
> work.

I want to tackle this problem, because I use japanese and I have
experienced the encode/decode error pitfalls in a last few years.
I'm wrong, I didn't touch zope development and didn't read the list
carefully.

In zope2.8, there is a zpt problem and this is a same pitfall.
(unicode and string are mixed in TAL)

--
TAHARA Yusei
tahara at timedia.co.jp