[Zope-dev] Re: svn.zope.org borked

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Dec 19 16:43:56 EST 2005

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> On 19 Dec 2005, at 21:27, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>> IMHO the process is straightforward and easy (except for the time
>>> it  will take),
>>

>> That fact alone adds complication, as that down time needs to be
>> scheduled.
>

> OK, well, the only complication is setting a date really. Someone
> decides and publishes it on the different lists, end of story.
>

>> > and there is no problem reverting to the previous state:
>>
>>> - run svnadmin dump on the old repository
>>> - move the old repository aside
>>> - create a new repository with fsfs backend
>>> - run svnadmin load to load the data into the new repository
>>

>> I presume you also need to disable access to the repository while this
>> is going on.  That means there are three input paths (viewcvs, svn:,
>> svn+ssh:) that need to be disabled. Maybe that's just a matter of
>> renaming the repo.
>

> viewcvs is disabled by either shutting down Apache

It's also used for CVS.  (Maybe mailman too?)

 > or putting up some
> meaningful error page.

Which has to be written.

 > svn access is disabled by editing /etc/
> xinetd.d/svn and restarting xinetd.

Uh huh.

 > svn+ssh can be disabled by  editing
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config to restrict access. This is a matter of  minutes,
> really.

I didn't think you could use sshd_config to restrict use of a single
program.  ssh access is still needed for CVS and for people logging
in to do other work (e.g. mailman admin).

Moving the repo seems a lot easier. :)

>>> At no point would any data be in danger. The problem I see on the
>>> current box is hard drive space. I'm not sure the remaining space
>>> is  enough to hold a complete dump *and* the new repository along
>>> with  the old one.
>>

>> The whole repository is only about 800 megs. There are over 8 gigs
>> free.  Are the dump file or the file-based repo much larger in
>> size the the Berkeley database?
>

> I'm not sure, really, but knowing the current size (which I had not
> checked) makes me confident we're fine on that front.

Of course, you'll want to do a dry run to make sure.

>> BTW, thanks for volunteering for this! It will be great not to
>> fool with the Berkeley DB anymore. :)
>

> Umh, more like force-volunteered now ;)

:)

 > Which is fine, but in return
> I'd like someone else (maybe you?) to herd the cats and come up with  a
> time frame where this can be done, and communicating it. I'll do
> everything on the technical side. Sound like a deal?

Sure. Thanks again. :)

Jim