[Zope-dev] zope-2.9 r40780 make install doesn't finish, files missing from bin

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Thu Dec 22 05:56:30 EST 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
[snip]
> I'll note, FWIW, that we don't do installs from Zope 3 checkouts.

Yes, this is understood.

> I think it's worth asking whether this is an important requirement.

Perhaps more generally, how important is it that the repository reflects
the released version of the software, and how close can we get? First
we'd need to agree on at least the principle that a checkout is ideally
equivalent to a kind of 'sumo release' of Zope that includes everything,
and builds as such, and acts like such a release.

I realize that reaching such a point practically may be hard, just
wondering if we can at least get some agreement on the ideal situation.

> If it is, then we should make it work.  Question is, is it worth
> delaying the release?  I don't know.

It's not worth delaying the release, if at least in the release the
dance continues to work, which I understand it does (and certainly did
for the beta).

I do think it's important though, but nothing is worth delaying the
release and I expect fixing this would shake up things.

> If we did stay with the current situation, we'd need to cleanup the
> documentation so that a developer can easily reminder herself
> what she can do and how to do it.

Yes, an obscure error is not very helpful, and I already know of several
people who ran into it independently. Now there's this thread that
people can find, but that won't be the case in the future...

It'd be best the error message was a bit more clear, if at all possible,
though I can imagine reaching that would also be hard. People won't be
looking into the docs very quickly when they run into an obscure error,
as this works with a release and you'd expect it to work with a checkout
too -- this is an expectation people get from other projects.

Regards,

Martijn