[Zope-dev] Re: Product installation (implicit vs. explicit)

Stefane Fermigier sf at nuxeo.com
Thu Dec 22 11:15:37 EST 2005

Fred Drake wrote:
> On 12/22/05, Andreas Jung <lists at andreas-jung.com> wrote:
>
>>Jar files have no dependencies.
>

> Well, I know you know what you mean here, but I'll elaborate since the
> kids haven't started fighting yet this morning.  :-)
>
> Jar files don't have dependency metadata.  They're pretty much
> equivalent to zipped Python libraries.  Python Eggs take the next step
> by adding the dependency information and other interesting bits in the
> support infrastructure.  I'm sure there's a Java equivalent (or
> several), but I've not heard of it.

There is one, and it is a very powerful and mature.

Or so I have been told by my good friend and coworker Eric Barroca.

It's called OSGi (http://www.osgi.org/)

It is used for set top boxes applications provisionning, as well as for
assembling components in the Eclipse platform (including Eclipse RCP)
which, according to another good friend and coworker (Julien Anguenot)
shares some similarities with the Zope 3 component architecture.

http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/sj/442/gruber.pdf
http://www.eclipse.org/org/press-release/20051011osgi.htm

  S.

--
Stéfane Fermigier, Tel: +33 (0)6 63 04 12 77 (mobile).
Nuxeo Collaborative Portal Server: http://www.nuxeo.com/cps