[Zope-dev] Renamed the Zope package to Zope2 and including Zope 3 packages in Zope 2.8

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Feb 2 04:32:36 EST 2005

Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 10:53:01AM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
> <snip>
> | I haven't decided
> | which parts of Zope 3 should be included in Zope 2.8 and would like to
> | get input.  If you have suggestions on what to include or exclude,
> | please respond here or on the z3-file list, where I am also posting
> | this message.
>
> Whatever we have in Five right now seems like a good subset. I haven't
> felt need for much more than that anyways. We have:
>
> - Adapters
> - Menus
> - Some support for auto-generated forms
>
> I think the main outstanding issue is interoperability between Zope 3
> and Zope 2 Page Templates, which is being investigated.
>
> Someone correct me if I missed something.

But Five has no *need* of this stuff in Zope 2, and I suspect it'll only
make our life harder. Either we'll be locked into a stale Zope 2.8
version or we'll have to maintain compatibility with both Zope 3
releases and Zope 2 releases..

If someone can package up the stuff needed for Five and nothing else and
wrap it up as a Zope 2 product (that fiddles with the path), fine.
That's only to make things more easily deployable. Right now the hard
part is however detaching Zope 3 stuff from its dependencies -- for Five
you'd need an enormous chunk of Zope 3 in order to make it work. Why
bother with it?

Regards,

Martijn