[Zope-dev] Renamed the Zope package to Zope2 and including Zope 3 packages in Zope 2.8

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Feb 2 08:45:31 EST 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Five has dependencies on zope.app, so to make Five use Zope 2.8
>> packages would require quite a bit of Zope 3 to be pulled in, or an
>> awful lot of work to prevent it from being pulled in.
>
> I think Zope 3 is at a point where, if there are volunteers, it would be
> worthwhile to start working on getting things out of zope.app.  I have this
> low-priority "bobo" project, which is about using Zope 3 without using the
> app server.  In the little work I've done on this, it's become clear that
> lots of things that are in zope.app should move out.

We had similar issues with Five. Early on I tried to replicate zope.app
stuff in Five so there was no dependency on zope.app, just on zope. Soon
enough we gave that up, and our lives have been easier as a result.

>  > Presumably only a few packages
>
>> will be pulled into Zope 2.8 in practice, which means that Five will
>> have to worry about packages from Zope 2.8 and packages from Zope X3
>> proper, and possible weird combinations and interactions. Not
>> something I'm looking forward to.
>
> Understood.  There are a few packages however, that Zope 2 can benefit
> independent of five.  These packages are pretty stable so I'm reasonably
> confident that this needed pose too great a hassel. At least I hope not.

True, zope.interface would be one, and I guess a few others. You know
better than I do which packages are bound to evolve a lot in Zope 3 from
now on, and which ones are stable enough. Important is that Zope 3
remains working with the packages in Zope 2.8 as long as possible.

Alternatively there could be a knob in Zope 2.8 to turn off the Zope 3
packages included in Zope 2.8, and use those on the Python path itself.
I'm not sure how easily that can be accomplished.

Regards,

Martijn