[Zope-dev] 2.9 goals

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Fri Jul 1 07:29:34 EDT 2005

I'd like to propose/sponsor/promise-to-finish the following for
inclusion in 2.9.  If anyone has fears/doubts/problems with specific
things, please let me know.  I can also start a 2.9 project on the wiki
with this info; if other folks have features they want, maybe they can
post them here and we can put together a release plan.

Definitely:

- Chris Theune's blob support for ZODB (currently on the
  ctheune-blobsupport branch in ZODB's SVN repo)

- Speed up large PUTs:
  http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2005-April/024617.html

- Implement RESPONSE.isClientConnected() to be able to tell if
  the client that made the request is still connected (allow
  long-running app code the possibility to abort processing
  if it notices the client is not connected).

Maybe:

- Include ClockServer: http://plope.com/software/ClockServer

- ZODB "connection policies", which will allow you to associate
  a thread pool with a particular set of ZServer servers.
  This will allow sites which are having resource exhaustion problems
  (e.g. running out of threads, running out of database connections) to
  continue to be accessible via servers running on "special" ports for
  debugging and maintenance purposes.  It should also allow site admins
  to associate a particular thread pool with connections from spiders
  and other cache-busters by associating particular user agents
  or other request parameters with a thread pool.
  Work towards this was done on the chrism-zserver-connection-policies-branch
  branch in CVS a while back.  See http://cvs.zope.org/Zope/lib/python/ZServer/?only_with_tag=chrism-zserver-connection-policies-branch

- C