[Zope-dev] Default ZODB cache size

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 15:08:29 EDT 2005

[Florent Guillaume]
>> How about boosting the default ZODB cache_size to something less
>> ridiculous than the default 4000 ?
>> I propose changing etc/zope.conf.skel to have an explicit value of
>> 20000.

[Dieter Maurer]
|> That may already be a bit large:
>
>  We use 15.000 with 6 workers and our Zope easily comsumes
>  about 1 to 1.5 GB of RAM.
>
> I would keep the 4.000 default in order not to bring
> newbies with low RAM into problems.
>
> Experts can easily reconfigue the cache size.

It's unclear to me which default we're talking about.  ZODB's
DB.__init__ has cache_size=400 (not 4000) as the default.  The example
ZEO client in skel/etc/zope.conf.in sets

#   cache-size 5000

as its "default".

Since this isn't a "one size fits all" setting anyway, I doubt that
changing the default would help more than it would hurt.