[Zope-dev] Re: [ZODB-Dev] Reloading product in 2.8

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Fri Jul 15 17:17:10 EDT 2005

[switching to zope-dev]

Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 07:49:10PM +0200, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> | But, it does not need to fail -- provided that with a product
> | all its dependent products are refreshed as well.
> |
> | At least, I never saw it failing when I had met this condition...
> |
> | And I lost time only when I saw the not very helpful problem messages
> | for the first few times (when I did not met this condition).
> |
> | But otherwise, refresh saved me *lots* of time...
>
> Same here. If you know the gotchas and you program properly it can
> work flawleslly. Hell, I've even been able to refresh Archetypes
> products, what can be more prone to fail than that?

Indeed, it does work for some people, but I've personally witnessed some
very intelligent folks spending hours on problems created by misuse of
Refresh.  Maybe this is attributable to documentation.

At the time Refresh was created, Zope products were generally simpler
and didn't have any run-time registries.  Refresh is now less reliable
mainly because products are more sophisticated.

Shane