[Zope-Coders] ZClass problem in 2.8 (Was: Re: [Zope-dev] Upcoming Zope 2.8 release)

John Barratt jlb at ball.langarson.com.au
Tue Jun 7 03:11:32 EDT 2005

Andreas Jung wrote:
> According to Jim ZClasses are working. A possibly isolated bug in
> ZClasses is bad but there are in general lots of such bugs in  Zope. So
 > this is not a release stopper for me now.
As far as I can see this is either a serious bug with respect to
ZClasses in that they just don't work, or something I'm not doing quite
right WRT Zope 2.8.  My understanding from discussions on zope-dev was
that 'ZClasses not working' was a blocker for a release of Zope 2.8.0 final?

As an aside, I have tried this on an older Red Hat 32bit linux box and
reproduced the same problem, so it doesn't appear to be a 64bit specific
problem as I indicated it could be in my previous email.

> We have discussed ZClasses
> already and about how ZClasses can be maintained in the future. Since I
> see little commitment to ZClasses (except from Jim) ZClasses are not
> really a blocker for *this* 2.8.0 release. We defered this release
> already a bunch of times and it is now time to get 2.8.0 with Five and
> MVCC support to people. This is much, much more important for Zope than
> having to care about ZClasses. People can stick with Zope 2.7 if there
> is a problem for them with ZClasses in the hope that someone fixes
> outstanding ZClasses in a further 2.8 release. I don't care getting some
> beatings for  my opinon that ZClasses are a neat ancient toy but not the
> tool of choice for nowadays Zope applications. We need a strong ZODB
> with MVCC and we need Five to bridge the world to Zope 3. And therefore
> ZClasses are absolutely not a reason to block the 2.8.0 release.
We are currently using ZClasses, but also really want to be able to use
MVCC.  I am happy to help out where possible to get ZClasses going in
2.8 if I can get some guidance as to how to go about it.  It looks to be
a reasonably 'intricate' problem.

At the end of the day, I'm actually not concerned about which release
this fix (if needed) gets into.  The most important thing from my PoV is
resolving this for a version of Zope 2.8(+) (even just a branch) soon. I
agree that there is a lot of 'good' in Zope 2.8 that should be made
available to the wider community in the form of a final release ASAP.

Thanks,

JB.