[Zope-dev] Zope 2.9 goals

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jun 17 08:27:43 EDT 2005

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Since Zope 2.8 has now been released, we can start talking about what
> would be in Zope 2.9.

Yup.

I'll just remind everybody that, starting with Zope 2.9 and Zope 3.2,
we are switching to time based, rather than feature-based releases.
We will make feature releases of Zope 2 and Zope 3 every 6 months,
starting this December.  I suggest a manditory feature freeze
at the beginning of the previous month, so November 1 for the next
releases.

 > I have some ideas:
>
> * newer version of Five included (whatever version is current then)
>
> * Zope 3.1 included

Actually, Zope 3.2.  Zope 3.2 and 2.9 will be released together,
There is no need for Zope 2 to be a release behind in it's Zope 3
components.

> * Python 2.4 support
>
> I think these could all be accomplished without getting too ambitious.

Yes.  I think this is a good starting point.  I hope there will be
more, but, since we are doing time based release from now on, we'll
have what we have.

> Especially the Five work and Zope 3.1 work will mostly happen anyway, so
> integration should be relatively easy. I don't know much about how
> involved Python 2.4 support would be; perhaps people who know more can
> speak up.

The biggest issue with new Python versions is a security audit to make
sure that new Python features don't create security holes.  This is
especially problementic for Zope 2's current security architecture,
which relies on specialized Python compilers.

I would *love* to change Zope 2 to use more of Zope 3's security
architecture, although I don't know if I'll have time to do that.
If someone wants to volunteer for some deep work, I think this would
be extremely valuable.

> Then there's something I know little about, but is also believed planned
> for Zope 2.9:
>
> * blob storage, file iterators
>
> I believe the work on this is fairly far along already.

Yes, probably.

> I'd be happy if this was *all* that changed in Zope 2.9. This way we can
> release Zope 2.9 in the forseeable future, like, late this year. If Zope
> 3 is on track there will already be a Zope 3.2 release imminent by then,
> but I'm okay with Zope 2.x running a version behind in the name of
> getting things out of the door to the developers.
>
> What do people think?

I think it is good to plan work, but, *we will not be bound by a specific
set of features*. We are switching to time-based releases for Zope 2 and
Zope 3.  Further, we will coordinate the releases.  Essentially, *Zope*
is switching to a new release schedule. Zope will be released every 6 months
and the releases will be in two parts, a Zope 2 part that includes the current
Zope 3 and a Zope 3 part.

Jim