[Zope-dev] Zope 2.9 goals

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Fri Jun 17 09:54:21 EDT 2005

--On 17. Juni 2005 08:27:43 -0400 Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:

> I'll just remind everybody that, starting with Zope 2.9 and Zope 3.2,
> we are switching to time based, rather than feature-based releases.
> We will make feature releases of Zope 2 and Zope 3 every 6 months,
> starting this December.  I suggest a manditory feature freeze
> at the beginning of the previous month, so November 1 for the next
> releases.

Switching to a time-base schedule is a good thing but several things should
be taken into account from the point as release manager slave:

 - the trunk is no longer a development area. Developments must happen on
branches and will be merged into the trunk as soon as the stuff is stable.
I won't be acceptable to have half-baked stuff in the trunk. This will hold
up the release schedule.

 - people *must* show *more commitment*. If there are outstanding issues
then I do expect that the people in charge work on the resolution in time -
this means for me not weeks or months. From my work over the last two years
or so I can only say that it is a *very big* pain to run after people to
get things fixed. There are some code parts e.g. the ZODB  which are known
in detail to a handful of persons. I do expect a commitment from these
people and especially from the companies these people work for to get a
certain amount of resources to help resolve outstanding issues  - but not
resolving issues somehow but in time.

Andreas