[Zope-dev] Re: [Z3lab] Nuxeo supports Zope Corp announces

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sat Jun 18 07:31:07 EDT 2005

kit blake wrote:
> Wow, what a difference two days makes. I heard about the ZF
> announcement by telephone two mornings ago, and I breathed a huge sigh
> of relief. It solves a problem we've been worrying about for years. It
> means we can sit across from a nervous IT director, and when he asks
> dubious questions about the steering and future of the Zope platform,
> we can say with certainty, "It's in good hands."
>
> Reviewing the thread, I'm astonished at the negativity. C'mon, this is
> a *breakthrough*. It's a move that can ensure the future of Zope.
> Granted, it's prudent to be cautious, and there's a lot of work to be
> done, but it's a major step. Shouldn't we be using an Agile approach?
>
> As for structure and neutrality, I think decisions should be left up
> to the developers. If they're not on board, there won't be anything.
> I'm not much of a developer, I'm a manager, and I know that attempting
> to pull developers 'over a bridge' is a bad idea.
>
> Actually, I'm a vendor too. So wearing all these different stakeholder
> hats, I'm looking forward to the process. To be explicit: I'm prepared
> to invest in the future of Zope.

I'm sorry if I led anyone believe that I view this process negatively.
That is absolutely not the case. I'm as excited and relieved as you,
Kit. I personally have been publicly supporting the idea of
self-governance of the Zope community for some time now and all of this
brings us a huge step closer to it.

My concerns regarding the process (which might have interpreted as
"negativity" towards the whole idea) were mainly oriented towards the
way the initiation of the process is perceived. All of the
self-governance we already have (e.g. zope.org collaboration and
maintainance, Zope 3 development process, etc.) has been built up
bottom-to-top, just like in any other open source community. Even the
wish for self-governance of Zope itself came from the basis and has been
expressed publicly since the Castle sprint or even longer. So, my
remarks were purely there to state that the perception of this process
being nothing but top-to-bottom (IOW, vendor-driven) were a limited view
on things.

As anything else is mere speculation, I'm looking forward to hearing
more details from those who initiated the process. I am confident that
everyone in the community will be invited to participate, so that in the
end we can all say that we as a community made this happen.

Best regards, see you on tuesday in IRC,

Philipp