[Zope-dev] Re: [Z3lab] Zope Corporation's Initial Reaction on the ZF Comments

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Mon Jun 20 03:50:02 EDT 2005

Hadar Pedhazur wrote:
[clarifications and opinions]

Hey,

I just wanted to chip in that:

* I'm very happy a foundation has been announced. This is what I and
others advocated for, starting in earnest after the castle sprint last
year. This is a major step in the right direction. Thank you Zope
Corporation! I also wish to thank Nuxeo in their active role in taking
this further.

Some points I think we all agree on:

* We all agree that the Foundation should be vendor-neutral. Those of us
in business, we're competing and cooperating at the same time, and the
Foundation will need to be on the balance.

* We all agree that the Foundation should be about more than just
vendors. To those of us who are independent, the Foundation needs to
listen to their voice as well, not just the vendors. We have extremely
significant contributors in the community who are vendor neutral. I need
to mention only the authors of the two Zope 3 books currently published.

Now on a more personal note:

* I am confident that Zope Corporation will do the right thing. Time and
time again I've found that Zope Corporation does listen. Let's all not
forget this.

* From my perspective as a company co-owner: the Foundation should be
vendor-friendly. We should accept that one of the reasons it exists is
to help vendors sell Zope better. ("its future is assured in a
foundation with N members"). This self interest is fine, as long as we
can all cooperate in a fair way. (a state of self-interested cooperation
is ideal, I'd say, in fact)

* It's important for all parties involved to reach clarity about the
relationship of the Zope Foundation with existing foundations and
initiatives within the Zope community. We dont want uncertainty and
confusion and we want to *stimulate* initiatives by the community. The
community is after all one of our greatest resources.

* From my perspective as a developer: I hope politics won't get into the
way of development too much. We'll inevitably and necessarily have
politics in the period leading up to the creation of the Foundation, to
ensure everybody's interests are being looked after. We'll have some
more after the Foundation has been formed. Let's try to stay out of the
developers' hair. Many of them don't want to be involved in politics or
cannot be on a personal basis as they work for a company. We don't want
them worried or pressurized by all of this. Again, the community is one
of our greatest resources.

Regards,

Martijn