[Zope-dev] Clarification re: Zope X3.1, 2.8

Brian Lloyd brian at zope.com
Fri Mar 18 11:22:26 EST 2005

Hi all,

There have been a number of threads going on today re:
Zope X3.1 feature freeze and the 2.8 effort. I'd like to
clarify some decisions re: Zope 2.8

Jim is the product mgr for Zope 3 and I'm it for Zope 2, so
hopefully this can be considered authoritative and end part
of this thread ;)

  - Zope 2.8 will include X3.0 (not X3.1)

  - The Z3 developers will have *no* extra burden or
    responsibility to support X3.0 beyond what they
    would normally do in the normal course of maintaining
    it for Z3-only applications. In other words, it is not
    the responsibility of Z3 devs to make sure Z2 tests
    pass, etc.

  - It *will be* the responsibility of the Zope 2 devs to
    make sure Z2 works with the version of Z3 bundled at the
    time.

  - In the next few days at most, after a few loose ends are
    wrapped up, we'll ask Andreas to make a 2.8 beta 1 release.
    While Jim still has a few things to do, people will be able
    to start using the beta for real work.

  - Anyone who cant wait for that can use the five-integration
    branch in SVN

  - As a community, we will work out how best to adapt the
    Zope 2 release process and schedule to that of Zope 3 going
    forward. We don't need to decide this immediately to continue
    to make progress on 2.8. I suggest an IRC meeting sometime
    soon to draft a proposal.

Brian Lloyd        brian at zope.com
V.P. Engineering   540.361.1716
Zope Corporation   http://www.zope.com