[Zope-dev] Re: Zope 2.8, Five and Interfaces

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed May 4 12:25:03 EDT 2005

yuppie wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>
>> Right. Here's what we could do:
>>
>> 1. Copy Five's interface definitions over to Zope 2.8 (mostly to
>> OFS.interfaces, I guess) where they are added as Zope 2 interfaces
>

> I would prefer to reserve the name 'interfaces' for Zope 3 interfaces.
> So far ZopeTestCase is the only package in Zope 2.8 that uses
> 'interfaces' for Zope 2 interfaces.

Ok. I don't really care that much.

>> 2. Keep Five's (redudant) interface definitions. They can stay at
>> their status quo (status Zope 2.7, that is).
>>
>> 3. Add <five:bridge /> calls for every interface so that Five's
>> interfaces are automatically kept up-to-date with the Zope 2.8 ones.
>> The bridges would override the ones defined in the module, potentially
>> updating with newer definitions. The only thing that we need to take
>> care of is fallback for Zope 2.7 where the Zope 2 interfaces don't
>> exist yet.
>
> Would this work: Instead of modifying Five at all, could we just add
> zcml files to the Zope 2.8 packages with Zope 2 interfaces and override
> the interfaces in Five.interfaces?

Yes. We could, for example, add another Product to Zope 2.8 (e.g.
'BridgeInterfaces') that contains a configure.zcml file that does this;
that way the ZCML file gets automatically picked up by Five.

I leave it to you and the others to decide whether to use this approach
(add additional ZCML files to Zope 2.8) or whether to modify Five. I
guess your suggestion is slightly more elegant.

>> If you want to do this, yuppie, feel free to do it. I would even be ok
>> for this to be done for the 1.0 branch, provided you also add it on
>> the trunk.
>
> If I need to change something in Five: Do I need additional checkin
> rights on codespeak, or will my kupu login work?

Your kupu login will work.

Philipp