[Zope-dev] Re: [z3-five] relocating Zope 2 core interfaces - a proposal

yuppie y.2005- at wcm-solutions.de
Fri May 6 12:19:47 EDT 2005

Hi Philipp!

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> yuppie wrote:
>
> Seriously, you should merge your r11978 to the Five-1.0 branch.0

Martijn was faster than I thought :(
I'll follow up to this in an other mail.

> I don't think we need to break backward compatability. We would just
> need to deprecate the Five.interfaces location.
>
> Basically, the goals are:
>
> * The solution needs to work with Zope 2.7
> * Preferrably, the interface import spelling should be equal on both
>   systems (which means a monkey on 2.7 is probably inevitable).
> * On 2.8 we want to have definitions of the z3-style interfaces in the
>   Zope tree.
> * Five.interfaces and OFS.interfaces.*, etc. need to contain
>   the exact *same* interfaces (same, not equal) on both systems at all
>   times.

That's the point I missed!

So we just need code like this at the end of Five.interfaces:

try:
     # override IObjectManager with Zope 2.8 interface
     from OFS.interfaces import IObjectManager
except ImportError:
     # monkey patch Zope 2.7 OFS

Right?

> * Five.interfaces should be deprecated as an import location in the long
>   term.

Fine. I no longer think we need to break backward compatibility.

Cheers,

	Yuppie