[Zope-dev] ZConfig change breaks Zope 2 and Zope 3

yuppie y.2005- at wcm-solutions.de
Sun May 8 08:28:55 EDT 2005

Hi!

On Windows, this 15 months old change in ZConfig sets the default
hostname for inet_address to 'localhost':

   http://svn.zope.org/ZConfig/?rev=376&view=rev

I have no idea why this was changed, the checkin message is not very
helpful: "fix the default hostname for address datatypes for Windows"

This ZConfig change is responsible for the Zope 2.8 release blocker

   http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1728
   (the relevant info is in http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1507)

and caused similar problems with Zope 3

   http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope3-dev/383
   http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2005-March/013770.html

So if nobody can tell me why ZConfig was changed, I propose to

1.) revert the change and tag a new version of ZConfig

2.) update ZEO: the ZEO tests expect the old behavior, see
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2005-March/013794.html

3.) update Zope 2 trunk and Zope 3 trunk to the new versions of ZConfig
and ZEO

4.) fix http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1507 and
http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope3-dev/383

I'd volunteer to do the necessary changes in Zope 2.

Any comments? Any volunteers for the other tasks?

Cheers,

	Yuppie

BTW: Why is ZConfig not a svn:external in Zope 2 and 3?