[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] RFC: Reunite Zope 2 and Zope 3 in the source coderepository

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Wed Nov 23 22:41:44 EST 2005

On Wednesday 23 November 2005 21:43, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> I know that you, Roger, have been contributing a lot to new exciting
> features in Zope 3. In doing so, you would never have to worry about Zope 2
> because Zope 2 will only explicitly use certain Zope 3 features. I believe
> you would in fact benefit from the Zope 2 combination because the features
> you write would get much better exposure to a large install and development
> base that is *hungry* for Zope 3 technology. Also, you could combine
> efforts with people who, until now, have been implementing framework-level
> stuff in their own projects.

So you think it is better to loose the existing Zope 3 developers in
anticipation of more community involvement? This would be Zope 3's death blow
as we know it, because it would stall Zope 3 for several months. Honestly, I
rather have less exposure and keep the code base clean.

> Bottom line: I find the risk of your having to dig through horrible Zope 2
> code much lower than the chance of joint efforts on Zope 3 technology. Of
> course, it'd be quite surprising if I didn't believe that as the author of
> the proposal *wink*.

You are kidding, right? You know April 1st is not for another 4 months. In all
honesty, I think you are downplaying the new overhead of Zope 3 developers
too much.

Regards,
Stephan
--